Online Bachelor of Library & Information Science
online Bachelor of Library & Information Science (BLIS) program provides advanced training in managing modern library systems and leveraging information technology.
Offered By - 0 Universities
Course Duration - 1 years
Course Eligibility - Graduation degree in any discipline from a recognized university.
Get more information about Online Bachelor of Library & Information Science
Fill in these details and unveil the power of Online Bachelor of Library & Information Science
Your Personal Data is safe with us.
Online Bachelor of Library & Information Science : Overview
The online Bachelor of Library & Information Science (BLIS) program provides advanced training in managing modern library systems and leveraging information technology. In today's digital era, there is a high demand for information professionals who can effectively organize, retrieve and disseminate knowledge resources. This UGC-recognized one-year online BLIS program is designed for working professionals seeking to upgrade their skills or fresh graduates interested in the library science domain.
The curriculum covers theoretical foundations, emerging technologies like metadata, cataloging, classification, reference services, library management, and extensive practical training. Learners develop expertise in managing both physical and digital libraries and driving innovation. The program equips you with in-demand skills to excel in diverse library and information-based roles.
The BLIS curriculum provides in-depth knowledge of traditional library science principles and recent technological advancements. Core subjects cover the foundation of library and information systems, classification systems like DDC and Colon Classification, the cataloging of print and digital resources, reference sources, and services. You will gain proficiency in international standards like AACR-2, MARC 21 metadata standards for effective cataloging.
The program will also build expertise in library ICT applications, managing e-resources, library automation software like LibSys, Koha, library consortia, and networks like INFLIBNET. You will learn information retrieval, processing, repackaging, and search engine optimization techniques. Other key areas covered are collection development policies, library budgeting and management, intellectual property rights, professional ethics, and emerging trends like the semantic web, open access movement, and cloud computing applications in the library domain. The blended curriculum includes live online classes, recorded lectures, hands-on projects, and access to e-libraries for a comprehensive learning experience.
- Flexible timing: Attend live online sessions or access pre-recorded lectures at your convenience to manage alongside work.
- UGC recognized: The degree is approved by UGC and awarded by recognized state or central universities. At par with on-campus BLIS.
- High employability: In-demand skills like digitization, metadata standards, and cataloging prepare you for lucrative library roles.
- Experienced faculty: Learn from qualified faculty with extensive experience in libraries across India.
- Virtual library access: Access the university's online library with thousands of e-journals, research papers, and databases.
- 24/7 LMS access: Study resources like lecture notes, PPTs, sample papers, and notifications are available 24x7 on the learning management system.
- Career guidance: Get specialized advice from experts on diverse library and information science career paths.
- Graduation degree in any discipline from a recognized university.
- No entrance test is required for BLIS admissions.
The total BLIS program academic fee ranges between Rs. 9,000 to Rs. 15,000 at most universities. Additional costs include the application fee and graduation certificate fee.
The online BLIS program can be completed within one year, comprising two semesters of 6 months each. The course duration may extend to 2 years for working professionals pursuing it part-time.
After completing the BLIS program, you will be prepared for rewarding careers such as:
- School/College Librarian: Manage all library operations, including cataloging, circulation, and acquisitions.
- Metadata Analyst: Develop metadata standards, analyze and improve metadata quality.
- Cataloger: Provide subject analysis, classification, and cataloging of information resources.
- Reference Librarian: Manage reference collections and provide research assistance to patrons.
- Digital Librarian: Lead digitization efforts, manage digital resources and repositories.
- Information Specialist: Implement knowledge management systems, and analyze business information needs.
- Online Researcher: Conduct online investigations, and compile reports from internet and database sources.
Why Choose this Course
Pursuing an online BLIS degree can benefit you in multiple ways:
- Upskill your library skills: Learn the latest standards, technologies, and trends in the library and info science domain
Career growth: Transition into higher roles like a librarian, cataloger, metadata analyst
Flexible timing: Study at your convenience without disrupting work
Saves travel: Learn from anywhere without relocating or commuting
Networking: Interact with professionals working in leading libraries.
Virtual access: Avail all learning resources, including library access 24x7 online
Cost-effective: Lower tuition fees and zero accommodation costs compared to on-campus
Fast completion: Obtain a recognized BLIS degree in just one year
Hands-on learning: Work on real-world projects that build relevant experience
Broad applicability: Leverage BLIS skills across education, healthcare, and corporate sectors
Niche specialization: Gain expertise in a domain with high employability
Course Scope in India
There are promising career opportunities and demand for BLIS professionals across diverse sectors in India:
- Academic libraries in colleges, universities, and education networks for roles like librarian, cataloger, and reference assistant.
- Government undertakings run public libraries for positions like collection development librarian and digital librarian.
- Corporate libraries in IT companies, law firms, and banks require library analysts and metadata specialists.
- International cultural centers and British Council libraries appoint librarians to manage resources.
- Private companies recruit knowledge managers, content managers, and information analysts.
- Historical archives and museums recruit experienced librarians as archivists.
Frequently Asked Queries
Most universities do not mandate a dissertation or thesis for BLIS. Some may require a capstone project.
Online BLIS provides 24/7 access to digital libraries with thousands of e-books, journals, and papers.
Yes, students belonging to reserved categories can avail of central sector scholarships offered by the National Scholarship Portal.