Are Advertising and Marketing Two Different Things?
Are Advertising and Marketing Two Different Things?,Jan 10, 2024
Jan 10, 2024
When you hear the words Advertising and Marketing, what do you think are the two words the same? Generally, people consider both terms the same, and are often used synonymously. However, the truth is different which means the truth is that these terms are quite different.
To clearly define both concepts, one needs to create a productive conversation around the topics. A clearer mind on the difference between Marketing and Advertising concepts will help individuals understand and empower them to make more accurate and sound decisions during meetings and running projects. In this blog post, we will delve into the dynamic concepts of Advertising and Marketing and try to understand the basic differences between the two.
What is Marketing
Marketing is the running process that ensures that your services or products are reaching your target market or audience. Attracting attention in a competitive market by acquiring and retaining customers is itself a daunting task. This makes Marketing a key changer and a very important process.
The marketing process starts by creating awareness and familiarity of your brand and services to your target audience. Marketing continues to bring up potential customers through several online and offline campaigns until they convert into paying customers. Effective marketing involves providing post-sales support and taking care.
It becomes very clear that marketing is a broader concept than advertising. Advertising can be seen as a subset or a branch of marketing and one of its most important tactics. Advertising comprises a number of activities that ultimately support the main goal of marketing. The motive behind advertising is to increase visibility and also it appeals to customers for revenue growth.
However, before jumping into advertising, it is mandatory to engage in a range of marketing activities such as branding, market research, positioning, pricing, and more.
The Marketing Mix
Being a wider term, Marketing will indicate several fundamental aspects of building and running a business. According to Neil Borden, an esteemed Harvard professor in the domains of Marketing and Advertising, It helps in decision-making in any business in any business domain.,
The Business Mix is further divided into 4ps:
- Product: Products or services that your organization delivers or offers, address the specific needs and desires of your ideal audience.
- Price: Price helps in dictating the profit of your business on the grounds of how much customers will pay your business to get your product or services.
- Place: access of customers to your business to get your services or products including retail or sellers, franchising, distribution, and others plays a crucial role in the growth of your business. Easy access for customers to your business will ultimately help your business to grow with more liquidity.
- Promotion: Here is the point where advertising comes into play. Promotions ensure that your products or services reach the broader crowd and your business will get an ultimate profit.
Since past years, the 4Ps have upgraded to 7 Ps:
- People: People are one of the most important aspects of any business. Every business requires qualified, competent, and experienced people to deliver the services of your business to its customers.
- Process: your business should have a structured operating system that people of your business should follow to deliver to customers what exactly they want when they purchase your products or services.
- Physical evidence: If you work in an advertising agency, the physical evidence could be the impact your campaigns have on your clients' sales figures. If you’re an advertising agency, the physical evidence could be the impact your campaigns have on your clients' sales figures.
What is Advertising
As mentioned above, Advertising can be considered a subset of marketing because, all advertising activities including native ads, search ads, YouTube ads, CTV ads, social media ads, and even podcast ads will ultimately support your marketing efforts.
Advertising encompasses all paid forms of marketing. While organic social media can be considered a type of advertising, traditional advertising typically requires payment for ad placement, whether it's on television, in print media, or more commonly online.
Several different ways of advertisement can be used to build a brand’s image, to promote a sale, a discount offer, a product, or collection, etc. Digital advertising provides a critical edge of advantage with the ability to track ad clicks and conversions, get customer data, and use the data for optimizing your future advertising campaigns.
Purposes of Advertising:
There can be a number of impactful purposes for advertisement, however, a few are listed below:
- Advertising helps businesses boost their reputation in today’s competitive market.
- Advertising helps the customer know that their unmet needs and desires can be fulfilled by your products or services.
- It assists businesses in building customer pipelines with lead generation.
- Relevant audiences will be aware of your product or service through different channels such as social media, YouTube ads, Google ads, CTV ads, etc.
- Advertising helps your businesses highlight your products or services with storytelling tactics.
Key Differences Between Advertising and Marketing
|The broader scope of Marketing comprises several activities, including market research, product development, distribution, pricing, and customer relationship management.
|Advertising only deals with brand communication and the promotions of marketing.
|The very purpose of Marketing is to understand the needs and match the unmet desires of customers to provide value and maintain long-term customer relationships
|The key purpose of advertising is raising brand awareness, generating sales, etc among customers.
|It is ongoing, with a long-term focus
|It is for the short-term, generating immediate awareness or sales.
|It is a two-way communication to understand customers’ needs and provide value to them.
|It is a one-way communication, where the audience can choose to engage or not.
Frequently Asked Queries
A1. Marketing strategies involve a long-term wide range of activities, including market research, product development, pricing, distribution, and customer relationship management. In contrast, advertising strategies primarily concentrate on short-term brand communication and promotional efforts to reach specific audiences and drive sales.
A2. The digital landscape unusually influenced both marketing and advertising. To engage the involvement of customers, marketing embodies several online and offline throughout their journey. On the other hand, advertising involves paid promotions, such as sponsored content on different social media platforms, and PPC ads on search engines.